In no particular order...

You were the first.  You made your way in to my heart and I made my way in to your family's photo albums.  My memories of you are bittersweet.  I wish it hadn't ended the way it did.  I wish I would have left sooner.  I have more to say to you than anyone else on this list because you were a big part of my life.  We will probably never speak again and it's probably better that way.  I honestly believe your hold on me will last a lifetime.  I can only hope that someday someone fills that role better than you ever could.

I met you at a bar.  I needed to rid myself of the memory of the one who came before you.  You did a fine job of helping me with that.  You didn't know the giant role you played in my life and you never will.

You were a mistake.  A very drunken mistake.  The mistake I made was letting you treat me like a whore.  I got back at you that summer by making sure everyone in your circle of friends knew what a giant dick you were. You probably forgot about me, but I will never forget what an asshole you were.

Believe it or not, I liked you a lot.  I didn't do anything about it because you were an ex boyfriend of one of my sorority sisters and even though she had moved on to someone better...I didn't want to walk down that road.  Our friends had a different idea for us while we were getting drunk at that wedding.  The only thing I regret is thinking that anything would come of that night.  You never called.  I'm sorry I tried.

You were easily one of the hottest guys I had ever seen...up until then anyway ;)  Being my roommate's boyfriend's best friend made you easily accessible to me.  I'll always remember you were your high school's quarterback.  I'll always remember your blond hair and your blue eyes and your wide strong shoulders.  I'm thankful you used my number liberally that summer.

You were my roommate's ex boyfriend.  We were both pissed off at her.  A bottle of vodka, your pull out couch, and the Garden State soundtrack was hardly romantic...but I guess revenge isn't always sweet.  I never told her what happened and I never will.

I met you at a bar while I was waiting to hear from someone else.  You were 28 and I was 22.  The flattery just dripped out of your mouth and I ate up every last word.  You talked me right over to your apartment.  I learned with age does not come skill.  I put your number in my phone but never planned to call you.

When I first moved to Madison, it had been a really long time since I'd had some alone time with anyone.  It was a birthday party for two of my close friends and we went to the quintessential college bar to dance.  You were there and told me you went to Nebraska.  To be honest, I couldn't remember what you looked like until I saw the pictures.  I cleaned up your vomit.  You had Olive Garden.  It was disgusting.  Thanks for  ending the drought though.

The second I saw you I fell for your brown eyes and dark curly hair.  You were young, and tall, and tan, and had the greatest smile I had ever seen.  You worked on the floor below me for a bit and then went back to finish college.  When you came back to work full time I made sure you were invited to everything I ever went to.  When you confessed to me that you were on the same page...it took me all of a New York minute to decide that this was going to be something.  It was...for three more years.  We never dated because we had nothing in common...but that.  I wish you were a bridge I hadn't burned.  But you will always be a successful conquest of mine that made lots of women in the office jealous.  Thanks for that.

I never knew you in high school.  We weren't in the same grade and to be honest, I don't think you actually spent a lot of time going to class.  Somehow you became friends with my brother.  I was in the right place at the right time that night.  While I'm one of many many other people to have you on their list...I'm okay with that because I never caught anything that you are rumored to have...and that includes pregnancy.

You are my only regret.  The only thing I can think of when I think of you is that I used you to make a frenemie jealous.  All I know about you is that you were a hockey coach from another state.  I don't even remember your name.

I was out with friends at the same college bar we always went to.  Your friend told me he went to the same college I did.  My friend and I went home with you and your friend.  The next morning I found out you were only 21...I was 26.  I saw you out at the bar again once and we looked at each other with feigned recognition...but didn't even say hi.

Boy am I glad I met you.  Every woman in the world needs to meet a man like you.  I've never felt better about myself than I did when I was with you.  I'm no one important to you...but you will be that one guy every woman keeps a memory of locked up for those lonely nights.  If I see you again, I will count myself lucky.

To be honest, we were such good drinking buddies that it was just a matter of time.  I always had fun with you.  That day we went on an 8 hour bar tour of downtown Madison.  Just you and me.  No one else.  Sometimes a girl just needs the full attention of a man to remind her that she's a desirable woman.  Thanks for the fun night.  I wish you the best.

My crush on you was doomed from the start.  We could never be.  I knew it, but I ignored it when you were paying attention to me.  Your compliments made my insides go mushy.  Your jokes always made me laugh.  I thought you were the most interesting person I had met in a long time and I could have spent forever getting to know more about you.  But you were, and still are, stuck like glue to one person.  And I'm not her.  I enjoyed our time together even though it ruined everything.

I'm sorry I broke your heart.  I never considered myself much of a heart breaker.  It's usually my heart that gets trampled on.  We always had so much fun and I loved having you as a friend.  I'm sorry I crossed that line with you.  I never thought you'd become attached to me like that.  I hope you find someone to feel for you what you felt for me.

My crush on you was ten years old but that didn't stop me from confessing that night at the wedding reception.  I'm glad things worked out.  I'm not glad that now every time I see you it's awkward.  You tried to be nice a few times, but now it's a mutual thing where we just ignore that the other is out at the same place if we run in to each other.  That's okay because my inner high school girl had a good time.

Getting drunk at bars and meeting men was just another night out for me.  I'm a sucker for a good looking man who says nice things about me.  I was under the assumption that we were just going to have a little fun, but then you wanted to introduce me to people and add me on myspace and keep in touch.  For the first time the roles were reversed.  I still laugh at the fact that you told me I used you.  And then I feel bad that I used you.

You were a tall drink of water in a bar full of college students.  I was feeling really good about myself that night so I had the confidence to approach you.  We started talking insurance...which is boring boring boring, unless you're drunk drunk drunk.  Looking back it was probably a dumb idea to send my friends home and claim I was "safe" with you.  Of course I was safe, but it was still dumb.  I left my favorite scarf at your place.  The guy I messaged on facebook to get it back was either not you...or you're an asshole.  I'll never know.

A male coworker of mine invited you to Wisconsin for the weekend.  Guess you were one of his good friends.  He wanted to show you a good time.  Instead I did.  I remember we talked all night and that you were really sweet.  I secretly hoped to hear from you again, even though you lived in Illinois.  My coworker constantly assured me that we should get together...but it never happened.

When I was a kid, you were my crush.  It lasted through my sophomore year.  We had our fun hanging out as kids, we "dated" in junior high, and then you took me to a high school dance.  If we had even one thing in common it might have been more than that.  But sadly you were destined to be a childhood dream of mine.  Until I came home for the holidays that is.  Closing that book took about 18 years.  Longest chase ever.

I was too young for you, so everyone said...but I always thought I was really mature for my age, and I guess you agreed.  You told me you loved me, a lot.  As "mature" as I thought I was, I wasn't ready to be loved.  I didn't really understand what it meant (does anyone at that age?).  I had to break your heart so that you would move on and find someone who would love you back.  Now you have and you're happily married.  I'm happy for you.

You sat behind me in a class and I could never pay attention because all I could think about was what was happening only inches behind me.  We flirted every day.  I thought you were so sexy and I knew you were so smart.  Deadly combination in my book.  Once we got together I was walking on clouds.  I got to wear your jersey around school and you walked me to my classes.  Unfortunately I was still not ready for a mature (read: intimate) relationship so we ended pretty quickly.  I regret not dating you longer.  I bet we would have been great together.  Now you're great with the person you are sharing your life with.  Congrats.

Working with you was the most fun I had those days.  I always loved having you there because we joked and flirted and the day flew by.  There's one day in particular that I will always remember...I was tossing you the meat to bag and you were slapping it and calling it names.  So unprofessional, but you knew it made me laugh.  We had some innocent dates.  You were younger than me so I always drove.  One night you were home on time, but we sat outside under the stars talking for hours.  Your mom was so mad.  We kept in touch, but not well.  I regret that.  Your life was not what you wanted and now you're resting in peace.  I wish there was something I could have done...but there is never anything anyone can do.

You are the man I have yet to meet...or maybe I already know you and just can't even fathom the idea of a part of my past becoming a part of my future.  Either way, you are the man who is going to outshine every other man I've ever met.  These memories of the men of my past need to be replaced with new memories that you and I will make.  I never want to have to go back to that life once I've met you.  You will be the one.

I do not regret my past.  I have learned a lot from the decisions I've made.  Luckily none of them turned out to be all that bad.  The worst thing I left behind with any of those guys was a broken heart.  You will be the man to pick up the pieces and you will know how to put it back together.  You will make it whole.  You will make me a better person.  I will do whatever it takes to keep you forever.

You will be the one man who comes in to my life and becomes the reason why none of those men ever worked out.  You will prove to me that there is someone out there for me and that all the waiting was worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts